7.30.2008

Chant Renewed

The monks of Heiligenkreuz Abbey in Austria are reviving the almost lost art of Gregorian chant singing and posting their videos on YouTube. Choosing to share those videos landed them a record deal. Amazingly their new album is doing extremely well on the European charts and is now arriving in America. On NPR Music, Father Karl Wallner talked to host Andrea Seabrook about balancing pop stardom with the religious life. You can hear that interview at YouTube Monks Storm European Pop Charts : NPR Music I have also included the video I found on YouTube that tells you more about this fascinating community. It doesn't surprise me that this type of music is receiving such a resurgence in popularity. I have always enjoyed singing in this style. It has so many layers. Listening to chant has helped bring more peace into my life as well. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin