10.13.2010

Video of the Week: "Amazing Grace My Chains are Gone" Chris Tomlin

I have been singing "Amazing Grace My Chains are Gone" by Christ Tomlin for several months now and have been wondering what the inspiration had been for this song.  It is a fantastic pair up of the traditional "Amazing Grace" with a new more modern chorus mixed in between the verses.  We have shared it quite a few times in worship and it has become very popular.

So, I did a search and was pleasantly surprised to learn that the piece had been a part of the 2007 movie "Amazing Grace".  The film stars Ioan Gruffudd (Black Hawk Down), Albert Finney (Erin Brockovich), Romola Garai (Vanity Fair), Michael Gambon (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban), Benedict Cumberbatch (Hawking), Rufus Sewell (Legend of Zorro), Ciaran Hinds (Rome) and introduces Youssou N'Dour.  It is based on the story of antislavery pioneer William Wilberforce and his struggle to end the slave trade in the British Empire in the 18th Century.

Here's the "Amazing Grace" movie trailer...


Doing this little bit of research and finding out more about this movie and the title song, "Amazing Grace My Chains are Gone" has added so much more meaning for me as a musician and singer when I am called upon to share this song with others.  I have been singing "Amazing Grace" for years but now have a new perspective on what that grace can really mean for someone.  Enjoy this week's "Video of the Week", Chris Tomlin's "Amazing Grace My Chains Are Gone".

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin